Thursday 15 May 2014

NO LONGER A FRESHER

That's it. My first year of university is officially complete.
Yesterday, I submitted my last assignment, and I just wanted to write a post about my fresher experience...

I have honestly had the most amazing/interesting year. I remember the first day I arrived. Lots of my flatmates had already moved in and I was one of the last to arrive. Not only was I nervous because I was one of the last to arrive, but I had been at my school since I was 11, and hadn't been in a new educational environment since then. I've had the same friends since I was 11 and had forgotten what that "new school" environment felt like, where you don't know anyone and try and make new friends. Luckily for me, everyone in my flat was lovely and I settled in very quickly, despite being extremely homesick.

I loved the first few months. Getting to know everyone, in your flat and on your course; discovering a new city; learning how to cook; and trying to manage my money... (not so good at that last one). Everything was new and exciting and I felt independent for the first time in my life.
Freshers was an absolutely crazy two weeks. I never really went out clubbing before I came to uni so that whole scene was new to me too. Going out every night for 14 days straight was exhausting, but I loved it. Advice: definitely take advantage of freshers fortnight.

Once the "honeymoon" faze of uni was over, I settled into my routine and everything felt normal. I feel like I've know these people for absolutely ages, it's hard to comprehend that in reality it's only been 9 months. Cray!

One part of my year that has really enhanced my uni life has been joining a society. And not just any society - hockey. Anyone who is going to uni in September, I thoroughly suggest you join a society. Whether it's hockey or your uni newspaper, football or LGBT - joining a society will make your uni experience so much better. It opens you up to more experiences and of course, more friends! In April, we went to Lloret de Mar in Spain on a hockey "tour", which literally just consisted of chilling on the beach all day and clubbing at night, with one day of hockey thrown in the middle. Tour was one of the best weeks of my life, and if I hadn't got sunburnt on the first day to such a painful degree I'm sure I would be saying that is was THE best week of my life. (I spoke a bit more about my hockey experience in a previous post if you want to read more).

Now onto my actual uni work... on some courses, the work you produce in first year counts towards your final degree, but in my case, it doesn't. That being said, I am one of those people who puts 100% into everything I do. All I have to do is pass first year with 40%, and even though it doesn't effect my final grade at the end of the three years, I still want to get the best grade I can to show my dedication and commitment, and that I take pride in my work. So far, I have gotten all 2:1s and one 1st which I am extremely proud of. Having wanted to study fashion for EVER, I am so happy that my hard work is paying off and producing good results.

I am not advertising uni as the best option for everyone in their lives. I just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed my first year and give a bit of an insight into what it's been like, and hopefully offer some tips to anyone reading who is starting uni this year.
If you do go to university, try to get involved in as much as you can and take advantage of every opportunity that is offered to you. Equally, you should do this in all aspects of your life.
You'll only experience your first year once, so make the most of it!

Lots of love,
Anna x

0 comments:

Post a Comment